Plazo de solicitud:1 2019 abril
Canadian Journal of African Studies (CJAS) is the official publication of the Canadian Association of African Studies (CAAS). Launched in 1967, it is a bilingual multidisciplinary journal committed to facilitating the dissemination of research by Africanist scholars working in Canada, Africa, and elsewhere.
CJAS publishes peer reviewed articles in the areas of anthropology / ethnography, political science, history, sociology, literature, human geography, and development. In addition to original research papers, the journal publishes Commentaries that cover current issues. The book review and review essay section provides critiques of recent books and reports on Africa in general and on individual countries.
In conjunction with CAAS, CJAS is actively seeking to further diversify the journal’s content and operations, both to reflect CAAS’s membership and to engage more closely with knowledge production from the continent that is the journal’s focus. The journal remains committed to its mandate to publish scholarship in both English and French.
descripción del papel
Como miembro de la CJAS Editorial team, Editors play a vital role in the publication process and the success of the journal. Working collaboratively with their editorial colleagues, overseen by the Coordinating Editor, Editors help to achieve the journal’s mission by performing the following functions:
- Solicit, receive, and process new contributions to the journal through the peer review process, ensuring that all reviewers and authors uphold the journal’s code of publishing ethics.
- Encourage the submission of manuscripts to the journal from established researchers in the field and from promising new scholars.
- Identify strategies to enhance and maintain the quality and reputation of the journal, particularly relating to the quality and timeliness of the published research.
- Review and expand the pool of reviewers (referees) as necessary, in terms of size, topic specialty, and geographical representation.
- Work with the CJAS Editorial team, in addition to the Board of Directors of CAAS, to develop the editorial strategy and direction of the journal and to act as ambassador for the journal.
- Participate in the annual CAAS Conference, including service as a voting member of the CAAS Board of Directors.
- Participate in meetings with other members of the CJAS Editorial team as required and maintain active correspondence with editorial colleagues, providing useful feedback and suggesting possible strategies.
To assure that the integrity and reputation of the journal is maintained at all times CJAS Editors are expected to adhere to the publishing ethics outlined in COPE Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors.
Successful candidates are encouraged to begin with a transition period with the current
Editorial team a few months before the official start of their term in July 2019.
Calificaciones del candidato
should have recognised expertise and an established record of published
scholarship in African Studies and should be actively involved with
international networks within the field. In this call for Editors, we
are especially seeking candidates with expertise in History and
Political Science and with regional expertise in West or East Africa,
although all disciplinary and regional specializations will be
considered. At least one of the appointments will be someone able to
conduct journal business primarily in French. French-English
bilingualism will be an asset for any applicant.
Key qualities sought for the position of Editor include energy, enthusiasm, organisational skills, and the ability to meet deadlines and work effectively within a team and with a major commercial publisher. Previous editorial and peer review experience will be an asset. Applicants should have employer or institutional support for this voluntary activity for the duration of the three-year appointment.
Procedimiento de solicitud
Interested candidates are requested to email a letter of interest and a full CV, including a list of publications, to Coordinating Editor Dr. Belinda Dodson (firstname.lastname@example.org ). All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without regard to the race, religion, nationality, sex, seniority, or institutional affiliation of the candidate. Within this context, the following diversity statement will apply.
CAAS and CJAS are committed to equity and diversity and welcome applications from African-Canadian and African-based scholars, visible minorities, women, scholars at all ranks and career stages, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. CAAS is enriched intellectually, socially and culturally by the presence and participation of people from diverse backgrounds.
Para más información: